Pancakes have been around since the prehistoric days. Even today, they are popular throughout the world though in different shapes and sizes. A pancake is usually flat and round in shape and is made from starch batter. It’s served with a wide variety of toppings and stuffing like jam, syrup, fruit, chocolate chips, etc. If you’ve been looking for a vegan pancake recipe, here’s how to prepare it from the scratch.
Ingredients for vegan pancakes
Whole wheat flour: 1 cup
Vegan or non-dairy milk: 1 cup
Sugar: 1 tsp
Ground flax seed: 1 tsp
Baking powder: 1 tsp
Coconut oil: 1 tsp
Baking soda: 1/4 tsp
Salt: 1/4 tsp
Apple cider vinegar: 1 tsp
Preparation and tips
1. Add 1 tsp of flax seed to 2.5 tsp of water in a bowl. Mix it well and keep it aside. It will thicken in a while and become flax egg, a vegan substitute for eggs. You can also use mashed bananas instead of flax egg but that will make the batter too thick and will also add a tinge of banana flavor to it.
2. Add rest of the dry ingredients, i.e. whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt, in a mixing bowl and stir them.
3. Take the non-diary milk in another bowl. Add 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar to it. It will give you vegan buttermilk. Now add the coconut oil to the bowl and finally also the flax egg that we prepared in step 1. Mix well all the ingredients of the bowl.
4. Mix the wet mixture of step 3 to the dry ingredients of step 2. (In order to mix it properly, you may want to form a crater like space in between the dry ingredients to pour the wet mixture). Stir the mixture slowly and gently.
5. Warm the pan for 4-5 minutes and grease it with vegetable oil. Try your luck by cooking a small pancake. When bubbles appear on the pancake surface (after 2-3 minutes), flip it and cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes.
6. Once you are done with cooking, top the pancakes with the stuff you love (blueberries, chocolate, peanut butter, coconut cream, etc.) and serve them to your taste buds.